
I've always known that I love floral and botany inspired wallpapers and fabrics and yet, I never seemed to find any that I like! They always seem too static, like each petal has been dipped in a harsh preserving chemicals used to keep bodies looking fresh long after they died. Either that, or the prints were inspired by fake, plastic bouquets. Not good.
I have known of Marthe Armitage's exquisite wallpapers for some time now, and she could certainly not be accused of the above. Her organic, rolling shapes and prints reveal a true understanding of the plant world in all their glory. Cobwebs, birds, thistles and seeds are all represented and they reveal the ways in which each plant can grow in every which way. These are the best nature-inspired papers I have come across and are worth drooling over (but not on).
The design shop Sigmar now stocks Armitage's work and combined with their paired back Scandinavian interiors these graphic, delicious prints sing out. A wider selection is availble via Hamilton Weston. I'm almost positive that I will paper a few of my walls in her lovely imaginative creations. They are printed on an old 19th century press that Armitage has been using since the 60s. Each of the rolls are cranked out by hand and the colours are mixed to your requirements. What could possibly be better?






No comments:
Post a Comment