Tuesday, 9 November 2010

{darned and loved}

I discovered another wonderful Portobello Market stall just before I left for the states. I was immediately drawn to it because not only were the items on the rails intriguing, but the hangers themselves were old and gorgeous. The stall {usually found on a Friday on the edges of the covered market} resembles a Victorian rag exchange. It's full of mostly French garments that have been hand stitched, altered, patched and lovingly repaired by those who cannot afford otherwise. Or did not have access to a Primark. The results are exquisite and inspiring. Unfortunately, the stall-owners wares ore often snapped up by designers who take them apart, replicate their patterns and are then mass-produced and sold for trillions. Not really in the spirit of the original wearers and a tragedy of the fashion industry. But if you too love these one-offs - and one-offs is how they should remain - then pop along and visit this last gem of the rag-trade at good old Portobello. I wish I had taken more photos, but this piece particularly inspired me. Hope you like.

1 comment: